WeatherSnoop

Product Support & Discussion Forums 

• USB UART Autoselect

• Would you like to see a certain feature in WeatherSnoop? Have an idea you want to share? Suggest it on this forum.
Would you like to see a certain feature in WeatherSnoop? Have an idea you want to share? Suggest it on this forum.
 #3207  by gregjsmith
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:00 pm
Every time I start up my mac I get a new USB UART connected to the Davis. Unless I select the new driver Weathersnoop won't connect. I would like to suggest an option to have Weathersnoop try them all a few times until it finds one that works.
 #3208  by boisy
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:14 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The issue you bring up is really an issue with the Silicon Labs driver and its inability to assign unique names to multiple devices. This happens if you have two or more devices that use the Silicon Labs driver, and one of them is unplugged and replugged.

What you suggest is a work-around, but there are issues which makes doing this a bit tricky:

1) How will WeatherSnoop's probing of multiple serial ports affect other devices that may be listening on the other end?
2) What if there are two stations on two separate ports? How should WeatherSnoop know which port is the right port for the document?

In the end, the model of the user selecting the port is the best, as it gives the user the power to determine how WeatherSnoop should communicate. Ideally, Silicon Labs should fix their driver to adhere to a unique naming convention for each device that DOES NOT CHANGE every time the device goes off-line and back on-line.

I've created a ticket on their system about this shortcoming, and am still waiting a fix.

The issue is also discussed in depth here: http://community.silabs.com/t5/Interfac ... true#M2255