WeatherSnoop

Product Support & Discussion Forums 

• USB over cat5 for long distance location

• Share your station details, Weather Underground and CWOP IDs, or any other details about your station setup here.
Share your station details, Weather Underground and CWOP IDs, or any other details about your station setup here.
 #3448  by toshio1959
 Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm
We traded houses with our kids and had to move both the server and the Davis Vantage2 (wired) console. The weather instruments stayed on the old house, but .. longer wires required for the instrument cluster to console (cat3) and data logger to server (USB)connections. At the old house I used two 20' USB extenders to get across the house, but now looking at 75 feet or so. I installed the Tripplite usb over cat5 extenders to get the job done and after fixing a crossed pair in the cat5 it seems to be working.

My station is down today, server probably needs a reboot or got an update that choked things.. but so far so good, now if I could get the old data unloaded from the logger!
 #3449  by boisy
 Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 am
That is quite a feat! For long distances like that, a WeatherLinkIP logger might be more convenient, but in your case, you already have the data logger, so it makes sense to "work with what you have."

Thanks for sharing.